Friday, May 16, 2008

Who Was That Man?


I just recalled a teacher that was with us for some period of time, but for the life of me I cannot remember his name. I also can’t remember what time frame he worked with us, how long he was with us, or what grade he taught. Was he a good teacher? I don’t remember. Also what was the real story of where he was from? Most of my memories of him come from the lunch table. Just one more that pass trough on their way to God knows where.

He was well past middle age and rode a motorcycle to work each day. He lived far down Pracha Utit Road well into the Soi’s in the 100’s. Each morning as we went to work in the van, you could find him having coffee, reading the paper and eating breakfast at a small restaurant on Prach Utit with his motorcycle parked outside. There is now a small branch bank in that location.

I an almost sure he had a United Kingdom Passport, but believe he was originally from The Netherlands. How did that happen? He had lived all over. He had worked on a kibbutz in Israel for room and board, a fast food joint in Miami, Florida and many other places, which don’t come to memory at the time. I do member that if you mentioned any place, that he always had an experience there and from the way he told his stories he did not seem to be making things up. He had also lived in Pattaya for several years.

I also recall that he had been married three times with his first two wives dying of various illnesses.

Why he left us I don’t remember, where he went I don’t know.

I guess I will just have to call him the mystery man for now. Do you remember his name?

No comments: