Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why

The construction workers in my neighborhood are dropped off for work at 8:00 A.M. each morning and knock off work promptly at 5:00 P.M. each afternoon. However, their transportation to take them home does not arrive until about 6:00 P.M. They spend this final hour talking loudly, drinking cheap Thai whiskey, smoking cigarettes and in general screwing around. When their ride arrived they then scrabble around for well over 5 minutes getting their personal effect together. They never do this before hand, always waiting until its time to go to get ready. Why?


Why to all the big box stores, Big C, Lotus, Carrefour in Thailand keep all denture cleaning products behind the pharmacy counter as if they were a guarded narcotic rather than on the shelf near the toothpaste? Why do they also have one large aisle dedicated just to cooking oils? Do they fry everything here?


Just how many officials in Thailand are serving in an inactive post? Do they get full pay and benefits and earn retirement time while serving in these posts?


Why is it that each time I go to any official Thai office to ask what are the requirements for a particular service, that I get a different answer each time? Example: I need a Thai Drivers License so we go and ask what is needed. We are informed that they need to see my USA licenses and a notarized statement from the U. S. Embassy with my address. We obtain these items and go back. Now we are informed that we also need. 1. A statement from a physician that I am in good health and have no communicable diseases. 2. A copy of each and every page of my passport (for Gods sake why?). 3. Two photographs with very precise dimensions. 4. The original of my drivers licenses and a copy which I must provide. I think the thing they are really looking for is an envelope with a 1000 baht note enclosed.


Other than the refrigerator, TV and computer why does my wife go around unplugging each appliance after its use. The fans, the microwave, toaster, stove. She unplugs each after every use. She also unplugs the TV and computer if we are going to be out of the house for more that a few hours. She doesn't say anything or demand that I do this, she just goes goes behind me and does it. Even if I walk out on the front porch for a few minutes, the fan is unplugged, the cord rolled up, and the fan restored to it's corner knowing full well I will be using the fan again within minutes. She also turns the air conditioner and the fan off in the truck each time she gets out. Why?

It is now the hot season, the hottest time of the year here in Thailand. We have security bars with screens on all windows, no getting in, or out. We also have no neighbors. No one in front, back or beside us. Each night, the wife closes and lock each each glass window and pulls the drapes shut, not just the ones in the bedroom. Results, in the morning the house is like a oven with no air circulating what so ever. Why?


When one gets older as I have managed to do, one doesn't make a big deal out of these things as they once would of have done in their youth. It's just not worth the aggravation. However, it does make one wonder at times just what goes though the Thai mind.

Next: Rick from Scotland.

No comments: