Monday, April 7, 2008

Mike, Stella and Thomas

Who? I agree, most will not remember these names as they were not with us for very long, in fact Thomas did nothing but get hired, spend several days in orientation, then failed to report for work on the first day following October break. He was from England. Not sure but believe he was hired in September 2005.

Mike was with us the longest of the three and I don’t know much about him either. I didn’t know him well at all, don’t believe anyone did. I believe he was with us for one full school year May 2004 to February 2005. The reason his contract was not renewed was because he was a heavy smoker and reeked of cigarette smoke all the time. The children complained about his odor (or at least administration said they did) so he was sent packing but only when the school year was completed. Mike was from the U.S. and that’s about as much as I know about his personal life. Several times I asked him where in the U.S. and got different answers. He was short, balding, about fifty something and kept his wallet on a long silver chain, which hung from a belt loop and looped down to his knees. He performed his morning handshake duties, was always on time for work and classes and as far as I know caused no waves. Others will have to comment on this teaching abilities but I recall no complaints from administration.

Stella was from France or so I was told and I know even less about her. In fact the only reason I know that she was here was because when I returned from one of my trips back home, I found several worksheets that she had prepared for math in one of my desk drawers. I don’t know if she was an English teacher or a Math Teacher. The only reason I know she was from France is because that’s what a fellow teacher told me when I was asking for input to my former teacher list. Why she left, where she went, or exactly how long she was here I have no idea.

One of the many readers of my blog has contact me as asked that I indicate the periods in time when all these teachers that I am writing about were employed with us. I will try, but some of the dates will be stabs in the dark. Just recalling all the names took forever as there have been so many. Looking at my list, I still see the names of 19 native speakers which I have not addressed yet, a whole lot of Filipinos, plus all the currently employed teachers who will also get their day in the sun at some point.

Speaking of readership. I have a counter installed on my blog that let’s me know how many people read each day and other information about the readers as well. Where they come from, what sort of software in on their computer, who is their Internet provider, stuff like that. I have someone from the United Kingdom that reads my blog almost daily and several in parts of the U. S. where I have no ties like Missouri and Illinois. Most are from Bangkok though.

No comments: