Monday, March 10, 2008

A Tribute to Lee

Lee Collier

I spend this morning ironing. That’s right, you read correctly ironing and all the time I was ironing I was thinking of my sister-in-law Lee. You see Lee taught me how to iron and do all sorts of domestic things that helped me take care of myself throughout my adult life. I have even passed some of this knowledge down to a couple of wives.

Lee was my brother Tom’s wife and Tom, my only brother, was 17 years older than I was. When my father died I was just seven and Tom was twenty-four. He then became not only my brother but also my father figure as well, with Lee right there beside him.

Every summer until I graduated high school would be spent with Tom and Lee. I got to know Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Groves, Texas just as well as I did my hometown of Natchitoches, Louisiana.

During these long hot Texas summers I spent my time riding my bike all over. Checking out every street and alley way in the neighborhood, playing baseball, cutting grass to make a few dollars, even shagging (not the British meaning of shagging) golf balls at the golf course before there were machines to pick up the balls. Had a great time doing all the things kids and teens did in those days.

However, the rule was that I always had to be home at noon for lunch to eat and take a rest period before hitting the streets again. For much of this time period in my life there was a disease called Polio and it was believe that we had to say cool in the heat of the day to help avoid getting it. It was really the scare in those years. If I recall correctly, I was not allowed back out until four or so.

Anyway, it was during these afternoon rest time that Lee taught me all sorts of stuff like ironing, sewing buttons on, mending a tear with needle and thread, how to defrost a refrigerator and scour a bath tub. She also taught me all sorts of cooking and canning tips, how to watch and care for children (as she had three young ones), how to take a list to the grocery store and stick to the list when making groceries. You name it we did it

Lee died last year and we all miss her. She was a great southern cook and could create magic with little of nothing. My favorite was a macaroni and cheese dish that was out of this world. The best I ever had and a meal in it’s self.

In closing I just want to say, I sure wish I had a before picture as well because Lee as also a “HOT” chick in her day.

No comments: