Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tony of California

The School
(Click to enlarge)
Tony originally taught grade one, and when I returned from one of my visits to the States, I was given my class back and he was moved to another one. I believe he was with us for just over a year.

He was from southern California, was married to a Thai lady and had one child I believe. My best guess is that he was about 30 years old. He was also very scruffy in appearance. He had a beard that didn’t fill in completely and his trousers and shirts were always in need of ironing. He was also a bit on the obese side, but not sloppily so. Tony was a talker who spent all his out of class time in the teacher’s lounge talking. He had something to say about everything. I labeled him a “know it all”. I always left the lounge when he arrived, as I didn’t want to listen to his continual rants and raves.

In is also my opinion that he had a care less attitude about teaching and considered his job as only a means to obtain funds. He did not hold the school, students, or his fellow teachers in any high regard. He had nothing good to say as I recall about anyone or anything.

I do recall that at some point, he had to be reprimanded for something and I really don’t remember what it was now but what ever it was resulted in a tiff between him and the head teacher. Some heated words were exchanged; there may have even been a threat or two.

At some point, he completed all the visa requirement for his wife and child to immigrate to the USA so he left so seek his fame and fortune. I believe is goal was to open a used comic book or sports cards shop, I can’t remember now which one it was.

Anyway, in my opinion he was just another in a long list of losers which have crossed through the threshold of this school.

Note: From my blog counter service, I know that several teachers from my old school are reading this blog. If you do not agree with my comments about these former teachers please feel free to add yours. My memory is not perfect and events may not always be as I have recalled them all these years. Some of these fools may have redeeming social values of which I may have been unaware. If so let’s hear them.

No comments: