Thursday, February 14, 2008

Wheels at Last



In a few more months, I will have lived in Thailand for nine years. In all that time I have not been behind the wheel of a vehicle other than just to look over someone elses newly purchased car or truck. The reason I have not driven is because I have been deathly afraid to drive over here. Heck they drive on the wrong side of the road, the left side, the sterring wheel is on the wrong side of the car, the right side, and the biggest reason of all the locals drive like maniacs.


But here I am now in Ban Phai without the Bangkok convencies of taxies, buses, skytrain, subway or in the worst case situation a motorcycle taxi. Thus transportation became a necessity rather than a luxury.


In preparation for this move and really not ever wanting to drive again I sent my wife to driving school about two years ago. She passed the course and obtained her drivers licenses. However, in that she dosen't really have that much experience, it was our plan for her to take the course again just before me moved so that she would have a little more experience and gain confidence. Well, that plan went astray when I retired about two months early and we moved earlier that originally planned.


To make a long story short, we moved, bought the new truck shown above and now my wife is also fearful of driving. So guess what or rather who is now the family driver? You got it, yours truly.


To my surprise the left hand road thing, and right hand steering wheel thing has not been as problematic as I though it would be. After taking it out once I was comfortable with that aspect of driving. The only real problems was that each time I signaled for a turn, I turned on the windshield wippers as that little device is on the left side of the sterring wheel and the turn signals are on the right, just the opposit of what I am use to.


The thing that I will never get use to but will have to bear down and endure is watching out for possibly the worlds worst drivers. Remaining in ones lane is unheard of, they drift in and out and no one seems to care, the car beside them just drifts over also (most of the time). Then there are the motorcycles, thousands of motorcycles who obey no traffic rules. They dart in and out of traffic, cut you off and in general scare one to death. On top of that, people step of curbs without looking, you meets carts on busy highways going the wrong way, cows wander about and in general no one is careful. Therefore, there is no such a thing is a leisurely drive as you must be at the top of your game each time you pull out of the driveway.


I'll manage though until such time as Mee (my wife) feels comfortable behild the wheel. Then I can moved to the shot gun seat and put on my blindfold.

2 comments:

Eddie said...

You need to buy you a huge red Hummer to make sure they see you coming.

Deborah Wilson said...

Rueben,

Followed you here from Eddie's blog - I'm looking forward to a lot of gret pics and stories from Thailand.