Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hemorrhoids



Standard Bum Washer


I know this may be just too much information, but I have been afflicted with these little buggers my entire adult life. I have itched, scratched, daubed myself with all sorts of salves and even endured the surgery of having the things removed, but alas they returned.


But they are no longer a problem since I moved to Thailand. Yes they are still down there, but they never itch, never get inflamed and never, ever except when I am on a trip back to the west give me any problems.


The cure in my opinion: No toilet paper usage. Never use the stuff except as a napkin to wipe the crumbs from my chin or pat myself dry.


I don’t know why, or how this cultural difference in toilet use developed but a large majority of people in Thailand just don’t use the stuff as the only means to clean their posterior. After, each visit to relieve yourself you simply use the device shown in the photograph and wash yourself. No smearing of …….., well never mind, but you know what I’m speaking about. Even rural farmer's homes have a basin of water and a bowl handy for washing up. Hopefully, photo's to follow in a later post.


However, the number one use of toilet tissue is as a napkin presented in a dispenser as show below. They can be found on almost all dining tables at home or local fine dining establishments.

1 comment:

Gemski said...

Ha ha a tribute to the wonder that is the good old 'bum washer'! Love it! Glad to also hear it helps with your 'Farmer Giles' (look up cockney rhyming slang) I can sleep soundly tonight, hahahaha!